Saturday, May 5, 2012

Grad Party



Well... the big news of the day is that I am an official USF GRADUATE! WOOHOO!!!!!!! Oh, praise the Lord for giving me this education and the ability to do what I did.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. My family (Dad, Mom, brother Robbie) drove from Orlando and attended. I have to say, USF has graduation commencement ceremonies down to a science and an art. I got there and was handed my card with my name, and could sit wherever I wanted. They ran it like clockwork. I guess you really have to economize when you have about 6,000-8,000 students graduating each spring. My particular commencement had about 780 students (USF puts on several each semester divided by degree). Lo and behold, despite writing my name phonetically on the card as instructed, it was still read wrong -- Lay-ruh, my patooty -- and made no mention of being in the Honors College. Oh well. I was Summa Cum Laude which I did not realize until I looked in the program. Nothing to complain about! I am finished, and that is that. :)

Tomorrow we are throwing a little graduation party at our apartment for friends still in Tampa to come hang out. Since I've got nothing better to do today, I'm getting started on our menu of snacks. Here is our delightful lineup:


  • Mint Chocolate Chip Cake -- I wanted something green in honor of USF and this sounds to die for. Almost all our recipes we can thank Pinterest for.
  • Tortellini Skewers with Pesto Dipping Sauce -- ummm, yum. And not hard! Inspired by a wedding appetizer.
  • Chips & Salsa -- you know, always a good party food.
  • Shrimp & Cocktail Sauce -- usually I don't bother with things like meat at parties because it's so expensive, but there's a bag of shrimp in the freezer I bought a few months ago and completely forgot I had. Time to use it up before I go!
  • Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip -- easy peasy, I have everything on hand for this! Perhaps I can get some friends to bring apple wedges or graham crackers? I will also whip some coconut milk and add cinnamon for another nice fruit topping.
  • Ginger Lime Iced Tea -- this one is so easy and so good, an idea thanks to my daddio. Make a gallon of unsweetened tea and throw in some sliced ginger while it's hot to infuse the flavor. Then add limeade concentrate a bit at a time until you like the sweetness and flavor. Tadaa! It's amazing.
  • "Girl Scout Punch" -- at least, that's what I associate it with. Putting scoops of sherbet into ginger ale in a punchbowl is what I remember from Girl Scout ceremonies as our drink. Still love the sugary wonderfulness.
There might be more if we think of it, but not a bad spread for some college girls, right? My two roomies and I each paid about $13.00 and used stuff we had in our kitchen for ages to make this snazzy menu.

This afternoon I've been making tons of tea and cooked the tortellini so it can be ready to skewer up tomorrow. As soon as I discover the fate of my round cake pan, the mint chocolate chip cake can be on its way! MAN, it sounds so good I can't stand it. Tomorrow is not a day people should miss.

Congratulations to everybody who is finishing up school this year, and for the rest of you, press on!

Love, Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment